Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Best Things about Chicago!

1) Staying at a fancy hotel- Actually, our hotel was kind of awful, structurally. It was definitely designed to not handle copious amounts of electricity, the wifi didn't work, and it was just generally old. But it did have character, and the staff was very attentive. I learned I can't actually function in a queen sized bed because I get lost and can't find the bedside table. I also got used to watching tv in bed, a luxury I had given up when I moved to my apartment. Plus, with CST, I could actually stay up to watch Jimmy Fallon!

2) The Signature Room at the John Hancock- It's a bar on the 96th floor where all the walls are glass and you can just sit and look out at the city. I didn't take any pictures, but it was the perfect bar scene. Plenty to look at when you weren't talking to someone, but quiet and dark so it was still comfortable for private chit chat.

3) Taxis! - Technically, I have ridden in a taxi before (in San Francisco, with Barbara) but I've never had to get one for myself or just relied on finding one to get somewhere. I love riding in cars, and I hate driving in cities, so taxis are totally worth it to me.

4) My First Big Business Trip- I learned that at the end of the day, no matter where you are, you're just tired and ready to go back to your room. I had lots of long, fancy dinners after long, stressful work days, and I did not want to go exploring after that. I never understood people that ignored opportunities to be in a new city for free, but now I do. Friends that have not done this yet, don't judge. It's a great experience, but it really is exhausting. I even had a ticket to a second city show and ended up getting a gift card and surrendering my ticket. I'll go back another weekend when I have the time and energy to do more.

5) And the Bean? -Of COURSE I saw the bean. On our last night, at 11pm, because I mentioned that I hadn't seen it yet which meant I hadn't really been to Chicago. So we hopped in a cab and went straight to millenium park via a cab driver on his 1st day of work. We learned all about how a person ends of a cabbie, and what is hard about being a newbie at the job, and that might have been my favorite part of the whole trip. Just some guy trying to feed his family after he lost his job, nervous about getting from point A to point B.

All in all, it was a great experience (although I came home ready to crash) and I'm so lucky that I have such pleasant coworkers. The trade show was a success, all our hard work was worth it, and now we don't have to worry about another one until September!

No comments:

Post a Comment