Monday, February 25, 2013

Dance Marthon, 2013



I am not a huge fan of dancing, and even less of a fan of being forced to spend a long period of time with a lot of people I don't know. Generally anything that has a morale team I stray away from. But my roommate was the director, and I wanted to experience it at least once, even if I was sure I would hate my life during it.

WRONG.

I had the most incredible experience. The first 5 hours were the hardest for me- I wasn't into the experience, and as much as I tried to be open to it, I hated learning the group dances. But at some point, I turned into 7th  grade, extroverted, super peppy and involved Paige.

I didn't know she still existed. She's been hiding under thick eyeliner and self declared angst for so long, I thought I'd killed her completely. But there I was, dancing around with my sisters and complete strangers, trying to keep everyone's spirits up the last 3 hours.



I was also SO proud of my sisters, who were so involved with the event- not only did we have the most representation of participants, but we had sisters coming to visit every hour to bring us snacks and hold up signs and leave notes. Zetas are not known for being incredibly outgoing, and its a big deal when they leave their comfort zone (ie, the section) to support their sisters. It really meant a lot. Even Deeg, who hates almost any positive social gathering, came to see Becca and I!




We ended up raisiong over 37,000 for pediatric aids, which is AWESOME for such a small campus. Even after we were done at midnight, I couldn't fall asleep because I was just so jazzed up about everything. In the end, I have Becca to thank for the experience, because without her I never would have put myself out there, and I'm SO glad I did.

I believe in dancing for a cure.


No comments:

Post a Comment