Saturday, May 25, 2013

Southern Vampire Series

I've been reading the Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris since my Aunt Sandy gave me the first book when I was in middle school (these are the books the HBO show True Blood is based off of, so it was a little racy for me at the time. Or maybe still is. I'm not sure.). They're kind of tawdry, but there's also this really interesting social commentary that creates a world where homosexuality is totally accepted, but instead it's vampires fighting for basic human rights. You watch them argue that they are tax paying citizens, and the frustration of their marriages only being legitimate in certain states, that kind of stuff. I'm not sure what it says that we're replacing gay people with vampires, but if you don't read too much into that, the basic premise is a pretty uniquely fun way to advocate gay rights.

Anyway, they (the books) were kind of terrible, but I loved them. Eventually they became so disorganized she had to get herself a continuity director, because she kept screwing up details in her story, but the writing was still pretty ok and she made some pretty awesome characters. There's something to be said for a woman who loves God and remains feminine and loving, but still isn't afraid to shoot someone. Maybe it's a weird sense of southern culture, but I like the idea of keeping your manners without taking shit.

Since it was a whole series that I finally finished, instead of a book, I'm just going to throw in the teaser for the next season of True Blood rather than add some quotes (although, the TV show is completely off the books now. The first season was pretty accurate, but now the only thing similar is a few of the characters).

Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment