Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Looking for Alaska: My Favorite Quotes.

I am not interested in talking about the movie news regarding my most favorite book of all time, but in honor of always wanting an excuse to talk about it, here are some of the quotes that always stick with me. Know that there are so much more that I love that I couldn't include because I would not spoil this book for anyone,  but that most of the quotes (although my favorites) are also ones that make me cry and feel and without the whole story will not mean nearly as much to you as they do to me.


“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.


“Before I got here, I thought for a long time that the way out of the labyrinth was to pretend that it did not exist, to build a small, self-sufficient world in the back corner of the endless maze and to pretend that I was not lost, but home.”


“Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia. (...) You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you'll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.” 



“Don't you know who you love, Pudge? You love the girl who makes you laugh and shows you porn and drinks wine with you. You don't love the crazy, sullen bitch.”



“Scared isn't a good excuse. Scared is the excuse everyone has always used.”


No comments:

Post a Comment