1. Getting to see the English Majors! We went to a movie, kayaked down french creek, tried lots of different restaurants, went on a tour, played games, and conquered an angry mob. It was so great to see them before I left, and reassuring that we really are a family of friends that will stick together. As an added bonus, my aunt, uncle, and cousins from state college came to Franklin to see me. I cannot stress enough how much stress that relieved for me. I have a list of people I want to see, and I couldn't figure out a way to make that travel day fit in the schedule, so having them come to me made me a lot less fretful. So thanks to everyone that drove to Franklin to see me one last time.
2. Father's day! I will not say that I have the best father ever, because that's annoying. I will say that I have the best father for ME, and that some of the best parts of myself are the parts I got from my dad (I'm talking about my stubbornness, my ability to play devils advocate, and my intolerance towards passive aggression; not my stupid cowlick). I love my dad, both for his serious, batman side, and his goofy side. I always think of him like this:
3. Orange is the New Black-- I'm two episodes away from finishing, and while I still love the show, I'm a little disappointed in the characters this season. (spoilers) The episode where Piper gets her furlow, and the black women get loud and obnoxious just kind of grossed me out. Taystee especially bothers me, because they wrote her to be a smarter and more sensitive character than that. I love what they're doing with Poussey, but I don't understand why we've started unraveling some of these other women of color into generic versions of themselves.
I think part of my issue is that I'm almost finished with the book, and where Piper Kerman went out to create a memoir and reveal what actually happens, the show mostly just sensationalizes it to what the traditional prison story is. I'm not shocked, and I really don't have a problem with some of what they add just for the sake of story (ie, in the book Alex isn't in the same prison and there's no contact, both Larry and Piper's family are supportive and understanding, there is no lesbian activity at all in Danbury, etc) but it does kind of ruin the intent of the book.



No comments:
Post a Comment