Saturday, June 28, 2014

Dutch Culture of the Weekend

Weekends I have off, so hopefully I will be traveling and not blogging. Today we did some shopping to make my room more comfortable, and eventually I think we'll even paint it (turquoise or gray, of course) because they want it to really feel like my room. It's a lot like freshman year of University, where everything is new and you're lonely, but with more responsibility and way more comfortable living arrangements. And this time, I get a family!

Anyway, since there isn't a lot of exciting stuff to report for my day, I'm here to tell you about Joppiesaus.

Joppiesaus is the ranch dressing of the Netherlands. I had it the first day I was there; I don't even remember what Marie-Louise was eating, but when an 8year old offers you a taste of something on her plate, you take it. But they put it on everything. Cheeseburgers, french fries, chicken. It's the flavor of their potato chips. When I make popcorn for them, I'll probably find a way to put joppiesaus on it.


It tastes a lot like a mustard (I've actually never had mustard, but it tastes like how it smells and that's how the Maes family introduced it to me). You can find a recipe here and try it (if you use google chrome it will translate it for you). I can already tell it will be one of those things that I will go home and miss. I don't think I would like it if I was at home, but at this point I'm trying everything. I ate a cherry tomato yesterday! I enjoy riding a bike! I read subtitles! All this in less than a week. 

I believe in embracing change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment