Sunday, June 29, 2014

Hup Holland Hup!

At the grocery store we go to, these little guys are everywhere celebrating the world cup. You get some when you go, so there are quite a few floating around here. I even have two now, because the girls had double of so many.


They're just little plush hamster keychains, very small. Mine is hanging from my doorknob. Hup means Go in dutch, and they have a song, Hup Holland Hup. It's like a song version of We Are- Penn State. Today I watched with the family as Holland beat Mexico, so that was exciting! I even cheered when they won. Of all the ways I will change this year, my disinterest in sports seems least likely to altar. But who knows!? All sorts of craziness could happen.

Afterwards we all sat at the table and I explained my rules and the parents translated for me. It seemed to go well, the girls understand my expectations, and if anything they seemed excited. I asked them if they wanted me to write it down, and so now we have the rules hanging on the wall for them and I can reference it if we have problems. We're also going to make a mailbox for fun ideas they want to do, and a mailbox for things to say when they're mad at me so they have a way to communicate without yelling. I also explained that this will be hard because we don't always understand each other, but I promise to practice my dutch if they promise to help me, and I will help them learn English. All in all, I think it went well, and in 2 weeks we will sit back down and discuss if there are any problems. 

Wish me luck tomorrow! I have an appointment with a driving teacher, which I was hoping to never have to do again. Stick shift, here I come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment