Here it is! This is the big year! The "you're-a-grownup-now-what-will-you-do-with-your-life" phase of my life!
1) Do one thing, every day, that scares me. Even more importantly, to never avoid something because of fear. I'm going to go to a krav maga class myself, I'm going to give blood, and I'm going to do some soul searching to see what other fears I have.
2) Watch the first 50 movies on AFI's list of top 100. (Is this a resolution? Or a task? Can a task be a resolution?)
3) Work on my empathy-- the balance is the important part. It's like I have a switch, and when it gets to be too much, I turn it off. In the past few years it seems I haven't figured out how to switch it back on. I'm not trying to overwhelm myself with it like it used to, but approaching things less clinically would do me some good.
4) Leave the country, at least once. Canada is cheating.
5) Either learn a second language, or write my damn book. Both of these things have been put off for too long.
6) Try foods that I think I don't like (which is basically everything) and work on having a more mature attitude towards food.
Otherwise, I'll figure it out as I go. I'm not big on short term commitments for long-term goals; I make a resolution every week to go to the gym, or every day to wake up and eat well, but I'm not going to decide that for myself 3 months in advance. I feel the same way about reading and keeping up with the news; I know I should do it, and saying I'll do it in January doesn't do me any good in July. So maybe what I need to do is make my goal for 2014 to be something like "continue to make commitments to myself."
yuck. maybe I should write hallmark cards.
Anyway, it's the new year, you're the same person, be good to all.
[mic drop.]
No comments:
Post a Comment