Friday, August 8, 2014

Job Hunting

Now that I'm home and the jet lag is coming to its end, I've been spending a lot of time with the job hunting process. On one hand, it's kind of fun to look at all the opportunities out there, but I haven't had so little direction in my life since I was 4, so that's a little terrifying. The general thought process during these job hunts goes a little something like this:

1. Wow, I look so trendy in this coffee shop with my trendy coffee and cute outfit. Who wouldn't hire me?
2. Apparently, every business on the list that thinks "entry-level" means "5 years of experience."
3. That's ok, I had a really good job at University Relations. That counts.
4. And hey, I even have writing samples I can use!
5. This job looks perfect! I am made for this job! It is for me!
6. But wait, what if they don't ask for writing samples? It isn't clear. And which do I send?
7. That's ok, I just spent all day making my resume look awesome. They'll just be impressed reading it.
8. But there's more to me than my resume! How do I show them?
9. Right, the cover letter! Thank god, a second chance to explain myself.
10. I don't want to write a cover letter though. I hate writing cover letters. Am I bragging too much? Not enough? Do I sound fun and unique but not weird and unprofessional?
11. Maybe I'll just keep looking at other jobs. They probably already filled the position. I'm not qualified enough, and I'm just fooling myself.
12. Wait, that's a good idea. I can just make a list of places to apply to, and then I'll write all the cover letters at the same time.
12. Repeat numbers 5-11.


Occasionally the process gets interrupted while I scour Craigslist to look at prices of apartments in the areas I look at, but otherwise, this has been my life the past three days. Neither the tranquil Latin American coffee shop playlist or the fancy tea can keep me from damaging my calm after a few hours of this. It's like initiation into the grown-up world, and it's only just started, but I will find my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment