Sunday, August 24, 2014

More happy days??

I put a few on my instagram, but it's not working again... I'm not even keeping track of days anymore, so for the time being, here are some things making me happy:

19(?) People that are brave enough to reach out. I have a friend who I had two classes with in my four years at BW-- not even really a friend, more like an acquaintance. But he is the best at reminding a person they are important and loved and valued.  People like to talk about mental-health awareness, especially on the heels of a celebrity suicide, but the real heroes are quietly sending affirmations without the confidence of knowing when it's needed. I love that.
20) Melissa Adzima- Have you ever met a person that just shines with positive energy? Melissa is inspiring in a way that I can only compare to my roommate Becca Wagner. You simply cannot have a bad attitude around her. It's another example of someone who has only played a minor role in my life, while still making a huge impact in the short time she is around. At camp, she brought me a flashlight and a lollipop when I was homesick. She was my role-model at church (her mom eventually ended up being my confirmation sponsor, something I am still so grateful for). She taught me everything I know about being a bridesmaid, and then how to go to that bride's baby shower years later. I think what I find most special about Melissa is how effortless she makes it seem when she brings out the best in people. I have been to hours of workshops, and orientations, and motivational speakers, but I think an hour with Melissa is worth more than all of that combined.


21) Getting to be home for Nick and Barbara's baby shower- it is endlessly frustrating to me that I can't be more useful to her, and there were more than a few nights in Holland that I got weepy about having to miss out on my new baby (2nd) cousin. A baby shower isn't the week in Seattle I wish I could afford, but I am still so grateful to get to have been there. I am determined to be as connected as possible with the newest member of my family, and I've already got a list of ideas on how to make a long-distance-relationship work with an infant. My Aunt Joanna and my cousin Patrick were my pen pals when I was younger, and I still have most of those letters and know they made a huge difference in my relationships with them. Barbara and Nick have worked their butts off to stay connected with everyone, and I am really excited to potentially be adult enough to visit them (and my cousin Thomas in LA!) and start taking more responsibility to stay connected. 


22) Spending time with my baby cousin, Liam, who is starting his first day of Kindergarten tomorrow! He has gotten much chattier with age, and we had a nice time at dinner where we discussed the finer things in life (trains, "the numbers game on my phone" aka 2048, and his feelings on clowns). I get sad that he will have such a different experience with cousins compared to the rest of us, who are all so close in age, and so I want to be the most fun cousin I can be. Sometimes, that means spending all dinner checking my bodyfit band every 5 minutes to see how many steps I've taken, and I love it. That boy makes me laugh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment