Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Halloween Classics To Watch:

Maybe I won't get through all of these before Halloween, but it's good to have a goal and a theme for the month, right? Plus, since we don't have cable, it isn't as though I can enjoy the 30 nights of Halloween on ABCfamily.

My Main Priorities:
1. The Shining (1980, Kubrick) I read it, I need to find out what was different, so now is the time.
2. Repulsion (1965, Polanski) We learned about Polanski in my noir class, I need to see more of his movies.
3. Psycho (1960, Hitchcock) You would not believe how hard it is to find this version.
4. The Cabin in the Woods (2012, Whedon) I've worked hard to not have this spoiled for me, AND it's on Netflix!
5. Carrie (2012, Pierce) Nothing against the original, but let's see some female directors on this list.
6. The Exorcist (1973, Friedkin) Because it's embarrassing I haven't seen it yet
7. Misery (1990, Reiner) I've seen the important scenes, but never the whole thing
8. Poltergeist (1982, Hooper) My family didn't watch scary movies, so I'm behind. I know.
9. Se7en (1995, Fincher) I'm considering just having a David Fincher month, actually.

My dad suggested:
Scanners (1981, Cronenberg)
To Catch a Thief (1955, Hitchcock)

and Kayse reminded me that I can't ignore: (although I don't have to watch the 5 thousand others)
Friday the 13th (1980, Cunningham)
Nightmare on Elm Street (1984, Craven)

If I had to pick my favorite thriller/horror/scary movies, I would definitely go with American Psycho, Silence of the Lambs, and The Strangers. I'm way more of a psychological thriller kind of person rather than horror, so I will always choose Black Swan over Saw, but I know some of these are classics. I inexplicably love The Uninvited (the 2009 version with Emily Browning) but even though it's labeled a horror I think it's closer to a psychological thriller- basically you can freak me out all you want with your suspense, just don't show me any organs.

Except zombie movies. 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland (ok, I know the last two are more funny than anything)-- I love them.

What are some classics that I'm missing? I've seen Halloween and The Birds, but what else? Do you have traditional favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment