1. Running Lights for Chicago
This may actually be my top favorite thing since I came home. Having a purpose, and a project, and collaborating with people for those things-- I cannot stress how much I needed that to feel like me again. Beyond it halting some of my existential-crisis, it was also just a really great show. Even after seeing it 11 times, the jokes still made me laugh and the music still got me pumped.
2. Having Visitors
My college roommate Becca came to see Chicago and spent the night so we could do some Applefestering, and The English Majors came on Sunday. In all of undergrad, I only ever managed to drag one person to Applefest, but now that we're all spread out from each other, it makes a great excuse to get together. Usually people think of Applefest as the homecoming for other Frankliners, but it worked just as well for getting the college friends together.
3. Seeing Gone Girl
The book is ranked somewhere in my top 10 favorite books I read this year (someone remind me to make that a blog post) and the author also wrote the screenplay, so we had high hopes. As a book adaptation, it was awesome. As a movie, I don't think it will be as timeless as Fight Club or some of David Fincher's other movies. Part of what I loved about the book was getting multiple unreliable narrators, and that just doesn't translate on screen quite as well.
Seriously, who doesn't love these? Snickers gourmet apples are the first thing I buy at applefest, and normally I keep a stock to last through October. I forgot how much easier it is to eat them when you aren't in a dorm room with a janky knife and a tiny cuttingboard balanced on one of you textbooks, so I'm already out. Which leads to my next favorite thing...
5. Realizing I Can Make What I Like at Applefest
The best part of Applefest is seeing how proud artisans are of what they've made, and while they definitely are there to sell them, they also want to share with you. I love that. People are so genuinely excited about knitting gloves with owls on them that they'll share their pattern with you so you can make them too. I think the real test of enthusiasm a person has for their hobby is how much they want everyone else to love it too.


No comments:
Post a Comment