1) Tall People- I haven't flown with Harrison in over 10 years, since we last went to Florida. I was 11, he was 9, and it was probably the last time I was taller than my brother. Today we sat together on our flight to Orlando, and it was hilarious. My brother is comically oversized, and simply does not fit in a plane. I couldn't even be mad he was taking up so much of my space, because it was clear he needed it more than I did. It was like putting an accordion in a microwave; he just had no business being there, and the whole scene was ridiculous.

2) Make-a-Wish Kids- There was a little girl sitting behind me that was SO excited to be meeting Mickey Mouse. The whole family had make-a-wish pins, and the mom was explaining to the flight attendant about how the little girl picked the trip. I saw their ambassador pick them up in the airport and the whole family was being treated like royalty. I noticed there were a lot of make-a-wish families (they have people holding signs for them, and a lot of them are wearing tshirts or pins), and I had never thought of it before, but Orlando does seem like a pretty hopping place for that. I think being an ambassador to one of those families would be the best job ever, and I could totally just sit in the airport and watch them all get picked up. Like Love, Actually, but better.

3) Small Worlds- While we were waiting for our luggage, I ran into one of my sisters that had graduated last year. Also totally unplanned, I called Becca to tell her about the Make-a-Wish kids, and found out she was also in the Orlando Airport. How is that even possible? I guess it's spring break, but it still seems like a remarkable coincidence.
4) Loyal Customers- On September 11th, Dad was in Milwaukee for work. It's still my clearest memory of the day-- I had a hard time understanding everything going on nationally, but I understood that Dad couldn't be on a plane and didn't have a way to get home to us. He had a car rented from Budget, and they let him drive it back to PA instead of returning it like he was supposed to. I'm sure lots of other car rental places did similar things that day, but ever since we've always rented from Budget. I just like that story, and when there's a stupid long line to get our car, it makes me appreciate them a little more.

5) Condos, Grocery Stores, and The Ocean- I am really really lucky to have such generous parents. They flew us to Florida, we're staying in the nicest Condo, and the ocean is our backyard. I've never stayed anywhere that I could just sit on my porch and see the ocean, and it will be a long time (if ever) that I will be able to afford it myself, so I'm so thankful that we're having this family trip. Also, is there anything better than staying somewhere with a grocery store close by? We are now stocked up in goldfish and dinosaur chicken nuggets and ho-hos, so I'm ready to read on the beach and snack for the rest of the week!
No comments:
Post a Comment