I will eventually write a post on Dance Marathon, but right now I'm watching TLC and doing my best to avoid getting out of bed, so that's where we are this morning.
I have now been to a few weddings, and been in one-- enough of them all different enough that I can get some ideas of where mine would be, if I ever do that marriage thing.
1. I will not insist my bridesmaids be ugly-- I can think of nothing more insecure and petty than a bride that insist their bridesmaids don't get to look good on their wedding day, for fear they will upstage her. On your wedding day, you're important because you're getting married, not because you look beautiful. I don't much care if my bridesmaids are prettier.
2. I want both parents to give me away-- Haven't thought too hard on the details, but no way is mom just going to sit in the aisle and watch me get married.
3. I will not be mad over money people don't spend on me-- In the episode I'm watching, this girl is upset because her mom won't pay for a second dress. I don't expect my parents to pay for anything, nor do I expect my groom's parents to pay for anything. It's my wedding, and I don't feel entitled to just have nice things with no cost to me. They paid for half of college and my trip to Europe. I'm looking forward to their support emotionally, not financially.
4. I want to take it seriously-- I went to a wedding where no one stood up while the bride walked through. I've seen proposals looked over because it was more of "in a few years do you want to get married?" than "Will you marry me?" I don't want to be a bridezilla in the sense that everything has to be perfect, but I do want everything to be intentional. I want people to know that the whole event has been taken seriously and should be taken seriously. This isn't just a little girl wearning a white prom dress.
5. I will look forward to more-- I don't want my wedding to be "the most important day of my life," and if something goes wrong, I don't want it to be something "that I will regret forever." I want it to be important and a milestone and the beginning of something great. I don't want it to be the pivotal moment of my life that nothing else will ever compare to. This is more of a promise to myself than to anyone else, but it still needs to be said.
Dance marathon pictures to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment