I used to be so good at this.
I've read a chunk of books that I never found time to blog over, so instead of doing them individually, I'm just going to make a list for myself and call it a night. I'm excited to be reading for fun over spring break (!!) so I wanted to get these out of the way in time to make real posts for the ones I read next week.
1) Sense and Sensibility- This is my first Jane Austen (if you've been keeping up with this blog, you know I've spent the last three years trying to read P&P. Don't worry, it finally happened too).
“I will be calm. I will be mistress of myself.”
“But remember that the pain of parting from friends will be felt by everybody at times, whatever be their education or state. Know your own happiness. You want nothing but patience; or give it a more fascinating name: call it hope.”
2) Wise Blood- Basic Premise: Man creates the Church of Christ without Christ. Professes that he never asked Jesus to dies for his sins, and he never needed him to anyway. Pretty heavy on the nihilism, although Flannery O'Connor was devoutly catholic.
“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it.”
3) Pride and Prejudice- I did it!! In my opinion, super overrated, and I can think of lots of characters I find way dreamier than Mr. Darcy, but still Austen at her sassiest. No quotes for this one, since I'm the last person on earth that hadn't read it.
4) Child of God- I first read Cormac McCarthy in high school, and loved him, but I remember The Road putting me in a really weird mood so I never reread it. That's how I feel about Child of God-- I love it, and it was bizarre in all the ways I love, but you can only do so much incest and necrophilia in one decade.
"All the trouble I ever was in, said Ballard, was caused by whiskey or women or both. He'd often heard men say as much.
All the trouble I ever was in was caused by gettin caught, said the black."
5) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies- I just finished this one tonight. If you've read P&P, you need to read this. It's so tongue-in-cheek, and worth the price of the book just to see the illustrations of Elizabeth disregarding modesty to deliver a swift roundhouse kick.
Sometimes I read your blog because I miss you. Like a lot. <3 Rooms
ReplyDelete