“He had a word, too. Love, he called it. But I had been used to words for a long time. I knew that that word was like the others: just a shape to fill a lack; that when the right time came, you wouldn't need a word for that any more than for pride or fear...."
"In a strange room you must empty yourself for sleep. And before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are emptied for sleep you are not. And when you are filled with sleep, you never were. I don't know what I am. I don't know if I am or not.”
There's also a film adaptation directed by James Franco, but it is as pretentious as a movie can get. It's like one big James Franco selfie in which he makes a lot of "I'm in a Sundance Film" faces and stares at the camera for a long time. Still, he uses a lot of interesting techniques (interesting--not vouching for if they're good or bad) to capture a novel written with over 15 narrators who are constantly interrupting each other to prevent one chronological plotline, and I liked that. It's on netflix, and I do have a special place in my heart for movies that only make sense to people that have read the book, so I would suggest trying it if you're into that kind of thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment