I know the subject gets beat to death every year, but I have loved Valentines Day as a coupled person, as a long-distance coupled person, and as a single person. This was my first year without a boyfriend or a date on Valentine's Day since middle school, but I have no complaints. I love the holiday.
I think the single-shaming is internal. I personally felt no shame today, and when I went to walgreens to buy myself a bottle of wine it felt no different than any other night when I do that. If you're embarrassed by your single-ness, I feel very sad for you, but it isn't going to ruin my Valentine's Day. I think people are generally happier and more openly affectionate, and the people sulking in the corner are free to do so as long as they don't get in the way of all the love.
I love crafting, I love making things for other people, and I love giving candy and treats. I love getting those things from people, and knowing they thought of me. I love having a day that allows everyone to acknowledge how much they love each other without feeling too silly. I love goofy puns and fandom pick-up lines.
So yes. I love Valentine's Day, and I love my friends, and I love my family, and I am full of love!
No comments:
Post a Comment