Some tips for how to act like a well-adjusted expat:
- They build a strong support system and know when to access it. (This includes friends, family, and formal channels such as the sponsoring organisation's IEAP.)
- Working on it. Making friends is hard, and I spend more time sitting with this family in their living room than I usually did at home with my real parents. Gotta make some connections.
- They tweak their outlook by viewing the time overseas as an opportunity for personal growth.
- Well, duh. That's why I'm here.
- They break out of their comfort zone, even if it's just for a few minutes each day to start.
- I often don't realize I had a comfort zone until I break out of it. For instance, home doesn't feel like comfort, until I've spent the day somewhere else. Then I don't compare it to Miller Road, I just compare it to having a bed vs. being on a train.
- They record their experiences, thoughts, and feelings in a journal or blog.
- Hi.
- They have a sense of humor and faith in their abilities.
- I have faith; the sense of humor depends on the day, but I try to remember everything is funnier or a better story in retrospect.
- They get to know local people.
- That is much trickier. The other expats I've talked to confirmed this for me; it's hard to get into the Dutch club.
- They make the effort to learn — and use — the language.
- My real lessons start in September, but until then, I've been Rosetta Stone-ing. Also, I am shocked by the amount of people that suggest things like 'Oh! Did you ever consider it would be easier living in a foreign country if you knew their language? Maybe you could buy a book that would help you!" Yes, I did suspect maybe it would help to know Dutch, and yes, I did buy things. My book must be faulty though, since I did not instantly pick up a second language. Perhaps there is a more efficient one you can suggest.
- They nurture family relationships.
- Trying!
- They set small, achievable goals and regularly evaluate their progress.
- I am the queen of small goals. It's why I made a calendar and bought a dry erase board.
- When things go wrong (and things will always go wrong), they don’t automatically blame the host culture.
- This is hard to do, but I am working on it. Your attitude is your own punishment or reward. But I will always be confused why zip-lock bags and window screens are strangers to Europeans.
It also talks about taking cultural time-outs, where you allow yourself the chance to feel like your home for short periods of time. For me, that means getting burger king after I've spent the day in a new city (there are burger kings in the train station here). It's a cheap and easy way to have something reliably routine inserted into my schedule. Who knows, maybe in a few months I won't even want it anymore, but until then, I'm allowing myself a few chicken nuggets every saturday without too much guilt.
I believe I can conquer this.
No comments:
Post a Comment