Sunday, July 13, 2014

Eindhoven Expats

So yesterday, I went to Eindhoven to find a girl who graduated from Oil City in 06 and then moved to the Netherlands with her husband (who lived in Franklin but went to Rocky Grove). God bless the internet.

First, a confession; you know how I said how honest Dutchies are? I have ranted and raved about dishonest Americans that come take advantage of systems here because they can get away with it, and then I turned into one. Christoph dropped me off at the station (my car is currently having an exhaust problem) in Boxtel, and then I realized after he drove away that the office with the real live person to buy a ticket from was closed. There are these kiosks where you buy your ticket, and I know how to use them-- but they don't take my credit cards or cash. I didn't have enough coins to get even a one way ticket. I kept walking back and forth trying to solve the problem/find coins/ask friendly people to help, but eventually I just panicked and got on the platform. Stupid, stupid American. When I got on the train, there was actually a guy checking tickets, so I just put my sunglasses on and pretended to be asleep. Thankfully, unexpectedly, this worked. It was the most horrible feeling ever and I will never do it again.

After some confusion at the Eindhoven Station, Renee found me and we drove back to her apartment with her friend Gosha and her 2 1/2 year old son. Once we got to her apartment, I also got to meet her husband and her youngest son, who will be 1 in September. It was nice to just sit and speak in English quickly and talk about yinzers and have eggs in a basket for breakfast. This is also when her husband recounted his culture shock in seeing someone eat hagelslag and exclaiming there was "a grown ass man eating a sprinkle sandwich!"

They took me to a market where they get fresh fruit and veggies, and I got to experience how a real life adult would live here. There is something to be said for seeing someone else be well-adjusted when you have not quite made it there. I also learned that if you are looking for weird American food that is generally unavailable, Asian stores are where to look. At this same Asian store I also experienced the wall of Ramen.



Then we picked up another friend (both of these women were Polish, so that was fun. We talked about perogis and I learned some things about my heritage.) and went shopping into the city center. By now I was getting tired, which is the horrible paradox I've been experiencing which makes me feel like I'm too introverted to do this; when you are homesick, you are supposed to go out and make friends, but when I go out to make friends I just get exhausted and more homesick. I'm just going to keep working at it and hope that something clicks. They also were all a little older than me and have real jobs, so I just can't financially keep up with that kind of shopping. It was fun to window shop, but I also just don't have a need for business attire while I'm here and I can't afford more than one pair of shoes a month (and that's my travel money, anyway).

I did learn about wall snacks, which are these vending machines that have hot snacks in them that are just little boxes on the wall that you put your euro in. I tried a croquette, which is kind of like a cheese stick only instead of cheese inside, it's like a gravy/pureed sausage blend. I didn't love it, but I'm a texture person (and a day later typing this, my tongue still feels weird from burning it on the stupid thing).

I came home (with a ticket, this time) and had a nice meal with the family. They had to leave to take Lola to the vet because she had a 5th puppy that wouldn't come out, so I stayed up with the kids and Oma and watched the futbol game. We got the text that the last puppy had died, and so then Oma and I had a bilingual talk with the girls about life and death. This life that I chose is strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment